2022 Cancellations

Winter/Spring 2022 Cancellation Policy

PAYMENT POLICIES: REFUNDS, CANCELLATIONS, PAY PLANS

All requests for refunds or credits must be submitted in writing and emailed to info@theatre360org.

If you decide to cancel before classes/camp begins:

  • You can receive a refund minus a $30 processing fee.

Cancellations are only allowed up until the 3rd class of the session. Let us know before the 4th class to qualify for a refund or cancellation.

FOR 18 WEEK SESSION:

  • If on a pay plan: your first installment made at checkout is nonrefundable, cancelling on time qualifies that your future installments are not charged.
  • If paid in full: 20% of the tuition is nonrefundable, cancelling on time qualifies for a refund of the remaining 80%.
  • If you request a credit, money kept on account will just be minus cost of classes attended. See full credit policy below.
  • AFTER THE 3rd CLASS, NO REFUNDS OR CREDITS WILL BE GIVEN. ALL PAYMENT PLANS WILL BE PROCESSED IN FULL.
  • NO REFUNDS OR CREDITS if you auditioned for a production and did not accept your role, get cast, or choose to drop out of the production prior to the performance

FOR 8 OR 9 WEEK SESSION:

  • For both pay plans & paid in full: A third of the tuition is nonrefundable
  • If you request a credit, money kept on account will just be minus cost of classes attended. See full credit policy below.
  • AFTER THE 3rd CLASS, NO REFUNDS OR CREDITS WILL BE GIVEN. ALL PAYMENT PLANS WILL BE PROCESSED IN FULL.
  • NO REFUNDS OR CREDITS if you auditioned for a production and did not accept your role, get cast, or choose to drop out of the production prior to the performance

CREDIT POLICY:

  • Credits are good for up to one year from the start date of the class.
  • Once a credit is selected it cannot be transferred to a refund at any time for any reason.
  • Credit given will be minus classes attended.
  • Credits cannot be used for anything other than a Theatre 360 class or camp session.
  • Credits are non-transferable to anyone else including siblings and relatives.
  • Theatre 360 is not responsible for insuring credits are used prior to expiration.

PAY PLAN POLICIES:

  • Pay plans will require a credit card to be on file. No checks or cash will be accepted.
  • If your student drops out after the 3rd class, all remaining installments MUST STILL be paid (please see refund policy above).

LATE REGISTRATION/MISSED CLASSES

  • We do not prorate any of our prices, all class tuitions must be paid in full.
  • To offset this, students signing up late may attend another age appropriate class we are offering that session. You can attend as many classes as you’ve missed, but makeups MUST be completed within your current session.
  • As classes are cumulative, registration will be closed after the 3rd class.